Calogero Costantino

Carlo Costantino
Carlo Costantino

Alias: Carlo Costantino

Born: Jan­u­ary 20 1874

Nation­al­i­ty: Sicilian


Where: Men­tal hospital

Cause: VD

Killer: Syphilis

Carlo Costan­ti­no, was born dur­ing 1874 in Par­tini­co, a town in the province of Paler­mo, Sicily.

He arrived in New York around 1905. Agent Flynn, of the Secret Ser­vice, claimed that Costan­ti­no ran a busi­ness along with Antoni­no Pas­sanan­ti, called the ‘Roma Con­truc­tion Company’.

Costan­ti­no and Pas­sanan­ti sailed to Sici­ly around the same time as Lieu­tenant Pet­rosi­no in 1909. Upon his arrival, Costan­ti­no sent a telegram to Giuseppe Morel­lo in New York: ‘I LoBai­do work Fontana’. Short­ly after, Pet­rosi­no was mur­dered in Palermo.

Bal­das­sare Ceola, the police com­mis­sion­er of Paler­mo, drew a list of sus­pects con­nect­ed with the killing. He even­tu­al­ly nar­rowed this list down to his prime sus­pects: Vito Cas­cio­fer­ro, Gio­van­ni Pec­o­raro, and Carlo Costantino.

In a later report Bal­das­sare Ceola spoke of the ques­tion­ing of Carlo Costan­ti­no and Antoni­no Pas­sanan­ti. The report referred to the cable mes­sage, sent upon their return to Sici­ly, to Giuseppe Morel­lo in New York: “I LoBai­do work Fontana”. Ceola claimed that LoBai­do was a fic­ti­tious name used by Pas­sanan­ti. Costan­ti­no had been found with pho­tographs of a New York shop under the name “PECORARO-LOBAIDO”. The report con­clud­ed that Carlo Costan­ti­no and Antoni­no Pas­sanan­ti were the like­ly per­pe­tra­tors of the crime, with Vito Cas­cio­fer­ro the mastermind.

Accord­ing to the book, “The Ori­gin of Orga­nized Crime in Amer­i­ca” by David Critchely, which stud­ied the Sicil­ian doc­u­men­ta­tion on this case, Costan­ti­no and Pas­sanan­ti were seen togeth­er in the vicin­i­ty of the killing. They both gave con­tra­dic­to­ry accounts to the police, and Pas­sanan­ti dis­ap­peared soon after the killing.

Costan­ti­no was deport­ed from Sici­ly in 1932 to Lampe­dusa, an island where the facists sent polit­i­cal and crim­i­nal pris­on­ers. On his return to Par­ler­mo he opened a feed ware­house, but died soon after­ward in a men­tal hos­pi­tal rid­dled with syphilis.